The work of the film editors doesn't take place in the public. We only see the finished film as a result of several weeks' concentrated work in the editing. In documentary films very often even the narrative structure is created during the editing process. The editor is the co-author of the film, he deals with rhythm, composition, the relation of space and time. On this 2-disc DVD Gabriele Voss, director and editor herself, talks with renown German editors, an expert on brain reactions and the filmmaker and philosopher Alexander Kluge about pictures and sound, chaos and order, handcraft and magic, rules and tricks. Clips from selected films like Abschied von gestern / Yesterday Girl or Lola rennt / Run, Lola , Run illustrate the statements. "The finishing touch of a film is done in the editing. This gives the editor a great responsibility. The slightest decision can change the whole mood of the film. That's the fascination of film editing." (Mathilde Bonnefoy, editor of Run, Lola, Run).
Schnitte in Raum und Zeit / Cuts in Space and Time - Germany 2006 - Directed, written and edited by: Gabriele Voss - Photographed by: Christoph Hübner - With: Bettina Böhler, Mathilde Bonnefoy, Elfi Kreiter, Beate Mainka-Jellinghaus, Alexander Kluge, Peter Przygodda, Wolf Singer, Wolfgang Widerhofer - Produced by: Christoph Hübner Filmproduktion - Première: May 8, 2006 (Filmmuseum München)
Schnitte in Raum und Zeit / Cuts in Time and Space
- Wolf Singer: Perception / Construction
- Alexander Kluge: Narration and Montage
- Beate Mainka-Jellinghaus: Anything Is Possible
- Mathilde Bonnefoy: The Nuance Is the Meaning
- Bettina Böhler: Rhythm / Breath / Emotion
- Peter Przygodda: Tools / Interfaces
- Alexander Kluge: Documentary / Feature Film
- Elfi Kreiter: To Cut / Not to Cut
- Wolfgang Widerhofer: In Praise of Fragments
- Mainka-Jellinghaus, Böhler, Bonnefoy, Widerhofer, Kreiter, Przygodda: It All Depends On ...
- Wolf Singer: Epilogue
Zusätzliche Interviews / Additional interviews
- Alexander Kluge: Context, When Montag Is Impossible, Montage / Techniques, Montage / Plateau-Formed, Montage in Documentaries
- Beate Mainka-Jellinghaus: Working with Werner Herzog and Alexander Kluge, Text and Commentary, Montage Whilst Shooting
- Mathilde Bonnefoy: The First Screening, Floating Attentiveness, Rough Cut / Fine Cut, On Using Music, On Working with Sound, The Last Word on a Film
- Elfi Kreiter: Working with Georg Stefan Troller, On Using Special Effects, On Using Music, On UsingLanguage, Respect and Responsibility
- Brigitte Kirsche: Talking Heads / Working with Eberhard Fechner, Material / Appropriation, Acoustic Fades
- Barbara Hennings: Emotions / Breath / Breaks, On Using Music, The Potential of Sound
- Nikolaus Geyrhalter and Wolfgang Widerhofer: Teamwork / I
- Bettina Böhler: Teamwork / II
- Mainka-Jellingshaus, Barthelmes, Kirsche, Widerhofer, Bonnefoy, Przygodda: Learning to Cut I - VI
DVD features (2 discs)
- Schnitte in Raum und Zeit 2006, 74'
- Additional Interviews 2006, 126'
- Chapter selection
- 12 page booklet with filmographies of all the editors and filmmakers
DVD edited by: Filmmuseum München, Dokumentarfilmintitiative im Filmbüro NW, and Goethe-Institut München
DVD authoring: Ralph Schermbach
DVD supervision: Stefan Drössler
First edition November 2006, second edition November 2007